Laser Treatment Provides Instant Results
Recently, the use of 1064 Nm Nd:YAG laser was approved by the FDA and Health Canada. Multi-Wave Locked System – MLS is a cutting edge patented FDA approved laser used to treat pain, acute and or chronic wounds, inflammation, and edema. The MLS laser uses a specific blend of wavelengths to produce antiedemic, antiinflammatory and analgesic properties that treat many causes of pain. MLS is painless with absolutely no thermal damage to the skin, providing instant results helping you get back to what you love. Our foot and ankle surgeons will be glad to discuss if this treatment option is for you.
Why Laser is Different?
MLS Laser Therapy is a medical breakthrough therapeutic device with unparalleled applications and treatment outcomes. The Laser works by converting light into biochemical energy, resulting in normal cell function, which causes symptoms (PAIN) to disappear.
The primary biological action of laser results from stimulation of cellular transport mechanisms in the mitochondria, cell membranes and epithelial tissues. This action causes the release of vasodilating chemicals, the stimulation of DNA and RNA (Building blocks) synthesis, an increase in enzyme production, an increase of superoxide dismutase activity, normalization of tissue pH, and increased ATP production. (Healing of the cells from the inside)
The increase of vasodilatation (blood supply) and improved microcirculation will increase the supply of cellular nutrition promoting tissue repair and remodeling (which means you heal faster). Significant reduction in edema (swelling) is also noted.
Benefits of MLS Laser Therapy
1. Anti-Inflammatory: MLS Laser Therapy has an anti-edema effect as it causes vasodilation, but also because it activates the lymphatic drainage system which drains swollen areas. As a result, there is a reduction in swelling caused by bruising or inflammation.
2. Analgesic: MLS Laser Therapy has a beneficial effect on nerve cells. It blocks pain transmitted by these cells to the brain which decreases nerve sensitivity. Also, due to the decreased inflammation, there is less edema and less pain. Another pain blocking mechanism involves the production of high levels of pain killing chemicals such as endorphins and enkephalin from the brain and adrenal gland.
3. Accelerated Tissue Repair and Cell Growth: Photons of light from lasers penetrate deeply into tissue and accelerate cellular reproduction and growth. The laser light increases the energy available to the cell so that the cell can take on nutrients faster and get rid of waste products. As a result of exposure to laser light, damaged cells are repaired faster.
4. Improved Vascular Activity: Laser light will significantly increase the formation of newcapillaries in damaged tissue which speeds up the healing process, closes wounds quickly and reduces scar tissue. Additional benefits include acceleration of angiogenesis, which causes temporary vasodilation and increase in the diameter of blood vessels.
5. Increases Metabolic Activity: MLS Laser Therapy creates higher outputs of specific enzymes, greater oxygen and food particle loads for blood cells.
7. Trigger Points and Acupuncture Points: MLS Laser Therapy stimulates muscle trigger points and acupuncture points on a noninvasive basis providing musculoskeletal pain relief.
8. Reduced Fibrous Tissue Formation: MLS® Laser Therapy reduces the formation of scar tissue following tissue damage from cuts, scratches, burns or surgery.
9. Improved Nerve Function: Slow recovery of nerve functions in damaged tissue can result in numbness and impaired limbs. Laser light speeds the process of nerve cell reconnection and increase the amplitude of action potentials to optimize muscle healing.
10. Immunoregulation: Laser light has a direct effect on immunity status by stimulating immunoglobulins and lymphocytes. Laser emissions are absorbed by chromophores (molecule enzymes) that react to laser light. Upon exposure to the laser, the enzyme flavomononucleotide is activated and starts the production of ATP (adenosinetriphosphate), which is the major carrier of cell energy and the energy source for all chemical reactions in the cells.
11. Faster Wound Healing: Laser light stimulates fibroblast development in damaged tissue. Fibroblasts are the building blocks of collagen, which is the essential protein required to replace old tissue or to repair tissue injuries. As a result, MLS® Laser Therapy is effective post surgically and in the treatment of open wounds and burns.